Wednesday, May 25, 2005

You'd think I would know by now

I am paying for staying up until past 2:30 a.m. Monday night, and then getting up at 6:45 a.m. on Tuesday. I made it through Tuesday (with the help of caffeine) until after midnight, one of those too tired to move to go to sleep things, but today seems to be in slow motion. Every bone and joint in my body is screaming at me, refusing to move smoothly. I have only one client to see today, but I don't need to be there until afternoon- which is a really good thing considering that every step and motion at this point is still literally, very painful.

I have this terrible tendency to keep tweaking and rewriting papers long after they are done (made worse when it is only one or two papers instead of several due), so the paper due on Tuesday evening which was completed (in draft 3) on Sunday night, was re-written Monday evening until it better reflected what I wanted to say. I still wasn't finished though, because I added, subtracted and reworked a few things on Tuesday between appointments and class.

Those days when I could stay out with friends until 2 or 3AM and then get up at 6 to go to work the next day are really gone. But I guess I still need one of those very late nights periodically, to remind me that I simply can't handle them and function two days later. Age makes the recovery time longer than the research and a grade (even if it could lead to a future research article) are worth to me. Yeah, great, I have that Honor Society key and 4.0 GPA, but who cares? And honestly, I know it doesn't make a difference outside the academic world.

Somebody, please remind me of that towards the end of summer, because the next (and only one this summer) class I am taking starting in mid-June is an entire mini-research project (idea, review of lit, design, collection of data, statistics, conclusions and paper detailing all) with the final product due the end of August.

I like research, so it could be fun as long as I finish it before crunch time and don't do this again.

No comments: