Friday, May 13, 2005

I should have realized ...

"When dealing with people, remember you are not dealing with creatures of logic, but with creatures of emotion, creatures bristling with prejudice, and motivated by pride and vanity" ~Dale Carnegie

I am always surprised when people feel the need to repeatedly do such things as informing someone of a meeting that should be attended but giving the wrong time, or passing along information with the important details altered or incorrectly embellished leading to an entirely different meaning, or withhold certain key pieces of information when directly and specifically asked. The real kicker is when they are (very politely) called on it, they smile sweetly and say, "Oh, I must have forgotten" or "Oh, I thought I told you" or something else that is meant to hide that they were deliberately being misleading.

It could be selective attention, but it has been my observation that men do this sort of thing much less often- to women at least (can count on one hand the times a male has done this and it takes two hands plus for women). I really detest those kinds of games and I honestly don't understand why some folks try to make everything some kind of competition. (Or maybe it isn't competition, but some other motive which is driving the behavior..)

I showed up twenty minutes early for this morning's meeting (with my hyper-reactive skin feeling burned)- and the meeting had already started about ten minutes before. When I said with a smile and a gestural apology, "I'm sorry, I thought I was early and the meeting was at 11:15 ", the reply from the person who told me 11:15, was "oh, we were all here, so we started early", to which another attendee said, "we were early, but I'm sure the meeting was supposed to start at 11". The person who told me 11:15 didn't even bat an eyelash.

That makes four or five times or more something like this has happened with this particular person (different things, differing degrees of importance; and yes, I am very slow to judge negatives). Sigh... I guess I need to view any future information with suspicion.

It's been a very long work day into night, but Friday is a day off.... sort of. I don't see clients and I can at least sleep a tiny bit later.

Oh, and I found the Benadryl gel after I got home tonight and liberally applied it to my face. It might slow down the reaction from my skin to whatever it is/was.


No comments: