Thursday, May 26, 2005

Sacred space

"Your sacred space is where you can find yourself again and again." ~Joseph Campbell

I have discovered several over the years and sometimes they aren't a place, but a state of mind, a state of being, or a state of being focused on things or moments that bring me joy and allow me to feel centered and complete, even if just for that moment. Fully immersed in creating something I will look up later and realize that I have been fully me and fully involved, with joy clearly part of the process bubbling along in the background. Stopping for a moment to feel the wind or watch a sunset or to watch the wonderful hidden world at ground level, I can later recognize the same sense of fully me.

I think clearly and feel most fully alive in mountains, but there I can also find a moment- not to think, not to let my mind race from next task to next task- which is what makes everything else important to me, crystal clear. So the words "find yourself" seem a misnomer; it is rather in losing my sense and awareness of isolated self, and being fully immersed in the moment that allow me to find me.

Where are your sacred places?


No comments: