Thursday, April 14, 2005

Quotes for little musings..

Up later than I planned to be (as usual), I was sorting through my subscription inbox and found these quotes on different aspects of living and being :
The curious paradox is that when I accept myself just as I am, then I can change. ~Carl Rogers
What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pike
In the end, scholarship is meaningful only when carried out for the sake of life. LIfe is the utmost importance. Scholarship without recourse to life is useless. Don't read books with a hasty mind. ~Nishida Kitaro
I am not sure why these three struck me in particular tonight, though I can hazard some guesses- the Rogers quote because it is Carl Rogers- no other reason is needed! The Pike quote perhaps because I do believe in large part it is in how we handle our relationships with others and what we give of ourselves that we find some of the keys to happiness and fulfilment. The Kitaro quote because being back in school, I find (still) too many professors who don't seem to realize learning and understanding aren't a matter of memorizing facts out of lectures and textbooks. And that last one (learning, understanding, books and "hasty minds") sends me on tangents I am too tired to write.

No comments: