Thursday, October 20, 2005

The (slow) return of the sun

"Change the changeable, accept the unchangeable, and remove yourself from the unacceptable." ~ Denis Waitley


(original on Flickr; this one cropped and tweaked some with Picassa)


I am drawn to the sun appearing like this. It always feels a bit magical and hopeful.

The day began with another medical test (ultrasound of carotid arteries, which were fine), and has ended with me looking at photographs of the day taken in various locations. Class was mildly interesting (10 week seminar on higher ed counseling) and went quickly. I kept thinking that some of the things we were doing should be written into a computer program and probably are in some schools. We are meeting on another campus next week which could pose a problem for me driving home in the dark. The instructor knows; I'll handle it as I can.

Nothing to do with the day, but I was thinking about variations of the opening quote (like the serenity prayer). Figuring out which one categorizes any particular situation is indeed often more difficult than just doing one of them. I think I might have lived much of my life by two steps forward, one or sometimes three back and then a holding period of only reacting to situations and people. I've held on too long, left too early, and tried to change things that should have just been accepted. There were a few moments I found the right mix without trying... and there is a lesson in there somewhere.

No comments: