Thursday, October 06, 2005

Searching for the midpoint

"Your reason and your passion are the rudder and the sails of your seafairing soul, if either your sails or your rudder be broken, you can but toss and drift, or else be held at a standstill in mid-seas. For reason, ruling alone, is a force confining; and passion, unattended, is a flame that burns to its own destruction."
~Kahlil Gibran

I've been just sort of drifting the past while or so, and in the past week, trying to regain my sense of balance and the right feeling rhythm for this next section of time. There are a lot of things jumbled around, but I have some sense of the linear framework that needs adjusting.

At any rate, here are a couple of photos from campus Wednesday afternoon- absolutely nothing to do with drifting or feeling out of balance, but they were good moments.

flowering tree
This is only a tiny portion of this tree, but it is difficult not to notice with its bright pink and yellow flowers. Most of the younger students were walking about seemingly oblivious to the tree. Only one professor (my age and gender) took notice of me taking photos and remarked how beautiful that tree is.

hummingbird
This afternoon the tree was filled with hummingbirds (and their singing), which I tried and tried to capture in a photo but only managed one.

flowering tree
I needed to move way back to frame all of this tree (obviously, I didn't). I still don't have a clue about what kind it is. Naming things, knowing the names of them is something that is often too important to me. So for now, I will resist researching that aspect. Despite the photos that don't do it justice, it is beautiful and that's enough.

No comments: