Tuesday, October 11, 2005

the post with no name

moon It's the same moon, no matter your perspective, yet the view is always different. On a more concrete note- this was taken Monday night when getting out of the car to see a client.

"The excursion is the same when you go looking for your sorrow as when you go looking for your joy."

"The events in our lives happen in a sequence in time, but in their significance to ourselves they find their own order the continuous thread of revelation."

~Eudora Welty

I've been avoiding the news other than very local things- but of course it creeps in and touches me. I just can't bear to think long about the various tragedies around the world or even within the U.S. outside the boundaries of Los Angeles. I know how selfish that seems, but severe overload set in with Katrina. I don't seem to be able to witness these things on the news without feeling overwhelming sorrow and frustration. Those two emotions are not helpful to me or anyone else right now, so I turn away.

It is selfish, but also self preservationist of me. I can't help anywhere if I can't get out of my own stew, so to speak... so I hear and see from my peripheral vision and allow only the smallest bits of the heartbreak of another massive human tragedy to reach the inner places. This tragedy too could have been largely prevented- not the quake, but the human losses. Money is always the issue. A 7.6 quake would do massive damage here, but result in much fewer deaths. Which leads to thinking about governments, countries, have's and have nots. I don't know any answers... and thinking along those lines feels too massive to contemplate a fix... which sends me back to quietly sweeping up my own corner of the planet - community, clients, home - me included.



No comments: