Friday, September 02, 2005

A little break ahead..

My final exam went well... and after taking care of a few things at the cashier's office, I took some pictures before I left campus (no big surprise, right?).

"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." ~C.S. Lewis

I don't know where that C.S. Lewis quotation came from, but perhaps that allows one to choose any interpretation in any given moment. Some days I think it means we need them again after a certain age, that we can dare to hope for some; and on some days I think that we can read them again, because we know they are fairy tales..

entwined

Tree roots like this remind me of fairy tales and magical things.. dark woods with hidden creatures.. quests and obstacles to overcome.. with patches of light.. and the heroine has to choose....

Darting for cover

The only creature I saw was this little one who darted for cover right in front of my feet. I didn't have much time to take the shot before he/she disappeared into the flower garden below...

flower garden on campus
I heard rustling for a while.. but there were no further sightings.

...~~~~~~...

I came home, ate and turned on the news.. which wasn't a mistake, but certainly was mood changing.

"Official truths are often powerful illusions" ~John Pilger

The pictures and stories of all the devastation and chaos in the Gulf region are overwhelming. My heart breaks with each one.. and my disgust with the officials, grows with each new revelation of budget cuts, lack of planning and the number of folks they knew would be affected. There are aspects which seem like "deja vu all over again" (Yogi Berra).

Red Cross
Salvation Army
Liberal Blogs for Hurricane Relief

Kevin Drum has numerous posts on all of the official FUBAR....
... like this one or this one or this one... and this one... ... there's more. But those are some of the ones that tell the reasons for my disgust in much better fashion than I could muster or anyone wants to read here.

From Making Light - Why Everyone Didn't Leave -which is additional eye opening information...

Enough reading, watching and heartache for one night..

"In order to understand the world, one has to turn away from it on occasion" ~~Albert Camus

I'll be reaching for those fairy tales, now.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
later edit 1:21 a.m. - found this blog which is by an employee of directNIC and Intercosmos Media group- (domain name registration, webservers, etc). They are posting pictures (and here) and keeping updates, interviews and descriptions of day to day, moment to moment life in New Orleans.

No comments: