Saturday, October 30, 2004

Friday's early start and nice ending

Friday's early start was to attend a class required tour of Rancho Los Amigos National Rehabilitation Center in Downey. We spent over an hour hearing about and absorbing some of the amazing ways they assist people in finding the right technology for living, in their Center for Applied Rehabilitation Technology (CART), and then got the overview tour of some of the rest of the facility.

The technology aspect and potential fascinates me, both high-tech and low-tech solutions. Some things are applicable to a wide variety of uses including the obstacles that can develop from aging. I would love to explore more of this in a formal way, but I might settle for just reading more and thinking about things in a new way. The whole visit was eye opening and my mind was spinning off a thousand tangents.

On an entirely different note, as of late Friday afternoon I am officially employed part-time (exactly as I wished, except it is still temporary instead of permanent), working for the non-profit at which I have been interning. That first internship begun almost a year ago was synchronicity. I had intended to intern with Goodwill Industries for that first quarter (my role would have been peripheral in Voc Rehab Assessment), but in a long series of misses, could not seem to connect with the person I needed to see. I couldn't wait any longer, so going over a list I created from a search of possible intern sites, I saw one that was close to home. It involved working with adults with developmental and other disabilities- something I hadn't any previous experience with at all. I called them; they took me (free help is usually welcome).

As it turned out, I found a niche I was very comfortable with and that used a number of my talents and interests with room to grow. No two days are ever the same, which also suits me. For now, this is exactly where I want to be.

No comments: