Monday, August 29, 2005

Little pieces wrapped loosely

"What sunshine is to flowers, smiles are to humanity. These are but trifles, to be sure; but scattered along life's pathway, the good they do is inconceivable." ~ Joseph Addison

Andy at Older, but no wiser has an interesting little game/quiz- identification puzzle. I think I might know what four of them are, but need to give up for a while now and see if my subconscious comes up with more guesses.

I had a little smile from Sacred Ordinary- My Get Up and Go, Got Up and Went. My Dad used a few of those in the first paragraph, plus some other more colorful sayings. In my people observer mode as a child, I was fascinated with when he used language in that way and why my mother did not.

"I have woven a parachute out of everything broken." ~ William Stafford

My son (finding the last of his summer before some intensive buckling down for academic work), is out this morning doing one of the items that used to be on my 'want to do at least once in my lifetime' list. He has gone to parachute out of an airplane. I have never liked adrenaline producing thrill rides where I have no control, so I'm not sure why it made my list twenty years ago- maybe mastering fears was the driving force.

He planned this a few weeks ago, and then last night said he was both excited and nervous about it... wanting a hug and to tell me he loved me before he went to sleep, which he did again this morning. I haven't heard from him, but one of the last things I said to him was a small suggestion to call me later today. I didn't make it a demand.

(update: 1:13 p.m.- son just sent a text message which I interpret to mean he really-really enjoyed his experience.. "I made it!! Sky diving is the shit!!!")

"Life is a mirror and will reflect back to the thinker what he thinks into it." ~Ernest Holmes

One of the photographs I took on a whim last Thursday before I noticed the fire...

Pic029_1

My reflection in a shop window.

No comments: