Thursday, December 16, 2004

Positive Reinforcement

"Once in a century a man may be ruined or made insufferable by praise. But surely once in a minute something generous dies for want of it." -John Masefield

I ran across the quote while cleaning out my inbox. Remembering to notice and acknowledge the little good things that people (strangers and those who aren't) do for each other every day can bring some surprising and happy results. We spend much more time noticing what's wrong and complaining loudly about it, and not near enough time noticing and praising what is right. It doesn't hurt or diminish us in any manner to let someone else know that what they do, even when it's their job, is appreciated. That's a little leftover advice from my behavioral psych classes and probably from everyone's mother in the form of the "mind your manners, be polite and kind" admonitions.

And on another note, my pocket is $50 dollars more empty, but I have ten days worth of large doses of antibiotic and two or three weeks worth of inhaled steroid to see me through the holidays. Hopefully both will start making a difference quickly.

No comments: