Saturday, June 05, 2004

Ronald & Nancy Reagan- "without you I am not whole"

I had something else I was working on to post about a number of related things connected to identity and purpose, but Ronald Reagan died today. I did have the news on, and there were endless clips, commentary and chatter that I eventually tuned out. Agree or disagree with his politics and policies (and there were more than a few which I did), as governor of California and later as President of the United States, I don't think anyone ever doubted that he had the state or the country's best interests at heart. And he was a very charismatic man, no matter the politics.

There was also never any doubt that he and Nancy Reagan loved each other. Numerous rude comments were made about her adoring gaze when looking at her husband during speeches or press conferences during his presidency. At the time, I found some of his comments about her (and her about him) and some of the syrupy things that were said, almost too good to be true. I was much younger and I didn't know what I know right this moment.

Tonight one of the segments on the news reports talked about how she was never out of his thoughts even when he was away; how he talked about her, wrote letters to her and let her know that she was in his heart. One of the reminiscences included a quote from a letter he wrote to her while he was aboard Air Force One; it said: "I more than love you, without you I am not whole." How could you not gaze adoringly at a man who took the time to write that to you, after all those years of marriage?

He was 93 and the last years must have been hell on Nancy as he lost the ability to recognize her and function at all and she lost the love of her life, one day at a time. My thoughts and condolences tonight are for her.

edit and add: Reagan Love Affair Lasted Decades

No comments: