Thursday, March 03, 2011

Working from home

Today was a telecommute day. I finished several reports, listened to a lot of phone messages and answered a couple of them (the rest I will answer tomorrow). It is nice to have the option of working from home one day every other week. Often I get more report writing done at home than when I am in the office. When I am at the office I am scheduling meetings, putting out large and small fires, and updating information and notes in the database.

The quantity of work required has gone up significantly in the past several months. Yes, I am grateful to have a job. Yes, I tend to like the work I can sometimes do, more often than not. But with the state out of money and the hiring freeze, the caseloads have gone up so high that it is impossible to get to everything that needs doing in a timely manner. Unfortunately like all bureaucracies, the paperwork and the illusion of everything being handled is all that management cares about.

I took a few breaks today. For a while, I was looking for a quote or two that might help me write something here. I didn't find anything specific to the topic of working at home, but I did find a random quote generator.
Random Quotations

This caught my eye:

"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
~ Jane Wagner, (and Lily Tomlin)

No comments: