Tuesday, March 28, 2006

youth steps up

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it. He who accepts evil without protesting against it is really cooperating with it." ~Martin Luther King, Jr.

There is something heartening about the youth protest over the immigration bill.

I sympathize with the protesters and disagree with the draconian provisions of what I think is the house version of the bill (though I'm having trouble finding either one on Thomas), while I understand the reasons behind trying to create immigration reforms. IF we are to continue having governments and political borders, IF we wish to choose who can and can't come into our country (or at least the majority of those who come), then some kind of immigration laws and penalties for breaking the laws probably ought to exist.

Note the tentative language - I can see both sides. I have an automatic gut response to anything that prohibits the free movement of human beings- while at the same time I expect the government to protect its citizens from anything and anyone harmful that might wish to cross into the country. I'm not convinced we need to be protected against Mexicans and Canadians or anyone else who comes here to work.

Those words poured out when what I really wanted to say was that I wish the youth had turned out, would turn out in the streets, in the same numbers, to protest the war in Iraq.

But noticing and protesting an unfair bill is a start.

No comments: