Wednesday, March 15, 2006

a weight temporarily banished

I was looking around ThinkExist.com Quotations using "lightness" as a search term and discovered this:

"“The beauty of flames lies in their strange play, beyond all proportion and harmony. Their diaphanous flare symbolizes at once grace and tragedy, innocence and despair, sadness and voluptuousness. The burning transcendence has something of the lightness of great purifications. I wish the fiery transcendence would carry me up and throw me into a sea of flames, where, consumed by their delicate and insidious tongues, I would die an ecstatic death. The beauty of flames creates the illusion of a pure, sublime death similar to the light of dawn. Immaterial, death in flames is like a burning of light, graceful wings. Do only butterflies die in flames? What about those devoured by the flames within them?" ~Emile M. Cioran

It has nothing to do with my mood or feeling tonight, but the words struck me as worth thought....

I confess to never having heard of Emile M. Cioran before... Wikipedia is such a nice tool.

There are several other quotations at ThinkExist attributed to him -like this one: "It is not worth the bother of killing yourself, since you always kill yourself too late." ... (which amused me in its truth)... or this one: "No one recovers from the disease of being born, a deadly wound if there ever was one."... or this one: "It is because we are all imposters that we endure each other."

I finished the quarter. With this class I might have done damage to my perfect 4.0 for graduate studies as I earned a nice solid "B" on quizzes. No matter. I do have two different invitations to this year's honors convocation- one for special division honors and one for special recognition in graduate studies. Not bad for an old gal, eh?

As to the start of this post -- 'lightness' was one of the words I was looking at to describe a certain weight lifted from my shoulders and a week ahead free of classes... the road always seems tangential.
wink pink

No comments: