Thursday, March 16, 2006

work expands...

"...This was my life. Days blended together, consistently ordinary, thanks to a job that was the practical version of my passion. ..." from the movie Catwoman

I've had more than a few days that blended together.. weeks, months, years even. The phrase "consistently ordinary" chafes a bit in it's aptness. It isn't how I want to live all the rest of my days. I suppose I should be careful what I wish for...

For the moment, this day's residue lingers. What started out easy and fun turned into a frustrating search for a computer malfunction within a client's machine... something I suspect is either a virus (it only seems to be affecting programs that connect to or create a connection with the internet) or a terrible symptom of worse things to come. Because I know how much she depends on it to touch the world outside, being a real softie, I'm trying to figure out how to fit some of my weekend time (or how much I wish to give) to work on it more. I sometimes have trouble drawing clear lines and boundaries for such things.. and sticking with them.

"Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion."
~C. Northcote Parkinson

or perhaps I should listen to Will Wheaton: "When I was so sick ... I had a fever-induced epiphany: I needed to make several changes in my life. I needed to redefine some boundaries, and re-organize my priorities." (his blog is undergoing renovations)

No comments: