Tuesday, February 21, 2006

They want who to operate what????

"Instead of giving a politician the keys to the city, it might be better to change the locks." ~Doug Larson

"Politics is the art of preventing people from sticking their noses in things that are properly their business." ~Paul Valery

Before I read the CNN article, I didn't realize that most of our East Coast ports were previously run by a British port management company which has been sold to the U.A.E company in question ... and somewhere I read something about most of the West coast ports being run by a Chinese company. Of course, now I can't find that and I am not at all sure which Chinese... but surely that would be Taiwan?????..

I've real issues with outsourcing any government operations (including basic military supplies, data management, catastrophic medical supplies, etc) to any foreign government- and that includes the British or the Canadians (no offense, but let's face it, you all wouldn't want us running any of your government operations or infrastructure, either). What I don't understand is why that - outsourcing government operations- isn't a bigger issue with other folks.

I tend to agree with Kevin Drum's assessment of the "real scandal": Politically, this whole thing is astoundingly tone deaf, especially since Bush did it without consulting anyone in Congress. Substantively, though, I'm not quite sure I get the fuss. Would we really be any safer if P&O were acquired by a Singaporean company? Frankly, the real scandal is that we're not already handling port security as if every port management company in the U.S. had a member of al-Qaeda on its board of directors.

Ok, off my soapbox now. There'll be lighter fare later in the week including pictures along with other less 'scratch one's head in amazement' things.

No comments: