Saturday, October 06, 2007

seeking gold

Sometimes when I am trying to put something out of conscious mind to let it simmer to some next step or resolution, I have a habit of picking up whatever reading material is in front of me and opening it at random. I read whatever lines jump out at me and seek the destination they send my thoughts. I usually find patterns in the disconnected bits where there probably are none. But that is a thought journey I've traveled before and probably won't ever figure out with any certainty.

Anyway, picking up the book Buddha Is As Buddha Does, by Lama Surya Das , the words of Norman Vincent Peale leapt out at me:

"When you become detached mentally from yourself and concentrate on helping other people with their difficulties, you will be able to cope with your own more effectively. Somehow the act of self-giving is a personal power-releasing factor."

No comments: