Sunday, May 02, 2004

"up, in the morning"

Writing Prompts- up, in the morning

Up, in the wee hours of the morning without having gone to sleep, my perspective on the world and life can sometimes be completely different than it is after I have slept. Alone, my thoughts can slip into colors that match the night. In the daytime I want at least fifty more active years to touch the world. In the sunlight and out in the world, on most days I am present in each moment and I want to laugh, sing when I feel like it, and dance when the mood strikes me. But in these early hours of morning, I don't know if I can really handle much more of being alone in the dark. I want to see my son out on his own in the world, living a happy life- and then???? The thought of an endless stretch of nights alone brings more sadness and ache than I want to feel.

Up, in the morning, the world will sparkle again. Sunlight streaming in through the windows and birds singing their morning songs will banish any lingering remnants of the dark. I will forget until the next time.

No comments: