Wednesday, January 03, 2007

"With kindly intent..."

Someone who is about to admonish another must realize within himself five qualities before doing so [that he may be able to say], thus:

"In due season will I speak, not out of season. In truth I will speak, not in falsehood. Gently will I speak, not harshly. To his profit will I speak, not to his loss. With kindly intent will I speak, not in anger."

-"Vinaya Pitaka," translated by F.S. Woodward
From "Teachings of the Buddha," edited by Jack Kornfield, 1993.
Reprinted by arrangement with Shambhala Publications, Boston, shambhala.com
From BeliefNet Buddhist Wisdom


Isn't it amazing how if one is working on letting go, going with the flow, mellowing out, wink pink, that one's attention is drawn to the right thing at the right time?

...back in a few days....

No comments: