Monday, August 18, 2003

Always expect that things will not follow a nice to do list

It was a very strange day. I did get a few things done, but I also spent way too much time trying to figure out if I had a problem with the computer or if the ISP had a problem. I decided it was them!

For some reason for several hours today I could only log on for a couple of minutes, then would get no unusual message, just a "your connection was interupted" message. Logging on again, would get me a really sloooooooooooww connection speed, but it didn't matter, I would get booted off again really quickly. Checking their network trouble page, CA had no problems listed but they were listing an overflow problem that XP users were experiencing.. Well, the fix was all the patches etc, that I downloaded a month or more ago- the things that caught some of those other folks off guard with that worm that went around in the last week or so. So that wasn't it. I know it wasn't a virus, because those defs were just updated as well as a scan run, besides I was able to log on earlier without any trouble and then later too. The firewalls were working fine. The modem was working fine. I couldn't tell if there was any phone trouble. I finally concluded it was their problem and wished I hadn't wasted my time going through making sure everything was ok with my end! I probably would have just stayed offline if I hadn't been trying to send a post which was lost when I was disconnected.

But without the internet time and despite trying to troubleshoot something that wasn't my problem I did get some work done. And I did get connected later and find time to read the posts on SAK - there were some good ones. Nice that I invited a person with a film/media/etc. degree the day before a discussion about the rating system started. I hope it spurs her to join.

There was a story on yahoo about a new Parkinson's study using gene therapy which has just been started with names and research locations. I sent that on to a brother in law. Hopefully that study will yield some results. I am going to keep my fingers crossed. There was also a study published (per another story with journal cites so I can find the actual study later) about nsaids and Parkinson's prevention. Everywhere I look this summer I am immersed in neuroscience stuff. For a reason or coincidental?

(transfer from Corner: "posted by Stormwind @ 8/18/2003 11:53:06 PM Comment (0)")

No comments: