Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Lions, Tigers, and Bears, Oh-My

"We learn geology the morning after the earthquake" ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
;-)

I'm digging deep into scrambled brains here..

Earthquakes and Tsunami Warning
Wow.. A first ever in my memory, a little while ago -- A tsunami warning for the California coastline down to Mexico coming from the emergency preparedness system. Of course, I am too far inland and too high up for a tsunami to be of immediate concern (though I have some acquaintances in those beach communities scattered up and down the coast), but it was a surprise. There was a 7.0 mag. quake in the ocean near Northern California around 7:50 p.m. Strangely, I can find brief mention of the quake but no news stories to link. AP is running a story, but the link is not permanent. No doubt, there will be some later.

This is a map of Recent Earthquake Activity in California-Nevada with the various quakes and fault lines shown. (later edit: should you click on an earthquake, you will be taken to a map which when mousing over the dot or lines, shows the location of that quake and the exact fault line.)

I don't usually go to the above map to check on various earthquake activity (preferring this one (and the Southern CA one linked on this page), but of more concern to me than a tsunami (as devastating and horrific as that might be for beach communities), are what fault lines and zones were moving. I wanted to look at the areas involved in the two largest most recent earthquakes (Sunday June 12, 2005, 5.2 mag. in Southern California)... Either or both of them look an awful lot like either end of the San Andreas to me (I haven't looked at the 7.0 in detail, but the 5.2 also had what appear to be foreshocks).. but I suspect they are considered to be located on other fault lines.

A look around a map of the Rim of Fire in the Pacific (with the most recent quakes plotted) might be interesting about now too.

No comments: