Tuesday, June 07, 2005

the length and width..

3 that haunt me always:

"I don't want to get to the end of my life and find that I lived just the length of it. I want to have lived the width of it as well." ~Diane Ackerman (quoted in a Newsweek interview)

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. I did not wish to live what was not life, living is so dear; nor did I wish to practice resignation, unless it was quite necessary. Henry David Thororeau (of course from "Walden"; Where I lived and What I lived For)

... "'What do you fear, lady?' he asked. 'A cage' she said. 'To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.'" ~J.R.R. Tolkien, Eowyn to Aragorn, excerpted from "The Return of the King".

authentic, aware, real, unafraid of being a full me in all the contradictions, unafraid of failure and setback, useful, purposeful, without resignation to the status quo, to learn and grow and seek more of me and give back what I can along the way... to overcome whatever holds me back from being me and doing what is important as I might define it in any given moment- These are some of the things that matter to me as much as connection. I didn't say I was there, only that they are things I strive for... idealistic for certain, practical where appropriate, realist where it seems to fit, action taker when it suits a purpose, seeker of logic and knowledge for knowledge's sake, dreamer in all the rest...

oh, and to "never take life too seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway" (unknown author).

And now to sleep, to rise early and hopefully "affect the quality of the day" (also Thororeau)

No comments: