Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Busy- not Hurried, Synchronicity, and the Unconscious

"Synchronicities are meaningful coincidences." ~C.W. Jung

"The feeling of being hurried is not usually the result of living a full life and having no time. It is on the contrary born of a vague fear that we are wasting our life. When we do not do the one thing we ought to do, we have no time for anything else- we are the busiest people in the world." ~Eric Hoffer

"The more one sees of human fate and the more one examines its secret springs of action, the more one is impressed by the strength of unconscious motives and by the limitations of free choice." ~ C.W. Jung

If I said that this was a busy week, it would be true, but it is not so overly busy that I cannot manage it well. I seldom over-commit my time these days, though I don't always leave quite enough "me time" (I always leave some). There are plenty of hours that are mine to relax- just none for starting new projects.

I haven't found a way to think myself an increase in energy, though I am always aware when my thoughts manage to decrease it. I seem to have developed a much lower set point for energy levels and I am much more aware of its seemingly finite aspects than I was thirty years ago and plan accordingly.

Three things managing to compete for my thoughts tonight: One is the offer of consideration for a full time opening (and promotion) at the end of July (I said yes! formally putting my hat in the ring). That would possibly be synchronicity still working in this area of my life, because it was a series of fortuitous coincidences that led me to intern, then be hired part time at this non-profit very close to home. Of course it shoots in the foot the two other things that I thought I might get a little experience with- those were plan B and C and I still might figure a way to fit them in. There are several advantages to this job offer, including almost no nights and possibly less driving as well as more money. There are a few possible disadvantages too, including the full time hours and possibly not seeing individual clients as often.

Will the offer pan out or will someone else be better for the job? I don't know and am not in the least worried or anxious one way or the other- stay tuned.

The second thing on my mind is a project for a client. I have a month minus this holiday weekend, to find a place for her and her long time boyfriend to live; Practical, logical, objective stuff- needed soon, but not so soon as must be frantically hurried. In the process of that I met someone tonight that might someday open one or more group homes and need someone to manage cases and services... more synchronicity working on the future perhaps?

The third item is something I have been trying not to think about directly, but is still showing up. I will have 22 years in this marriage on Friday. I say and think that with a flat affect which in itself says something, though I am not sure I understand what.



No comments: