Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Resilience

Though it is something I am on guard against (especially given my chosen fields), I have a tendency at times to internalize other people's grief, problems and stress, adding them to my own. I am not so sure I am always good at handling my own, and especially not when I am adding other's.

I was quickly perusing the APA Moniter this morning on a break from writing yet another paper (and getting ready for a work day/night which will begin very shortly) and found a link to this at the APA help center: "The Road To Resilience" which can be viewed online page by page or downloaded in pdf form. The entire article has several pieces of information that are worth reading.

In the "Staying Flexible" section was this:
"Resilience involves maintaining flexibility and balance in your life as you deal with stressful circumstances and traumatic events. This happens in several ways, including:
  • Letting yourself experience strong emotions, and also realizing when you may need to avoid experiencing them at times in order to continue functioning

  • Stepping forward and taking action to deal with your problems and meet the demands of daily living, and also stepping back to rest and reenergize yourself

  • Spending time with loved ones to gain support and encouragement, and also nurturing yourself

  • Relying on others, and also relying on yourself"
Wise words.

Before I fly out the door, edited to add:
American Psychological Association Help Center - also worth perusing.


No comments: