Sunday, October 10, 2004

Transitions and Evolutions

Trying to catch up on folks in my Frequent Read list, I read this post from Keri Smith at Wish Jar Journal: "principles rather than formulas...confessions of an autodidact"

She starts out with "I am one of those people who is constantly looking for answers of some kind. It is just my nature."

Of course that caught my attention. Yes, me too. I continue to work on allowing some questions just to be questions, to know that even if I come up with an answer to some, they won't necessarily have the same answer tomorrow.

She discusses her "early on" involvement with self help books. I remember that phase of life, not that I have outgrown it, but I don't look for the same sorts of books these days. I don't recall ever thinking that I would find anyone's else's set of answers to be the full picture for me, but I was searching for clues. That might be due to the influences of my grandmother- definitely an existentialist leaning, march to your own drummer sort of woman. (That's likely the place where I learned not to simply accept anyone else's answers as truth... The contradiction: Don't accept anyone else's truths automatically, but somehow absorb that "that" truth is a truth? ;-) )

Note this line- a very important piece to all puzzles:

"Life does not always go according to some formula, but is rather a compilation of transitions and evolutions. Formula falls apart in the wake of intense change, adaptation is key."
...

Later she says:
... "The best books in my opinion are the ones that cause me to ask the interesting questions of myself, not necessarily provide answers. (Just as the best teachers I had in school.) Some of the great works of literature (fiction) may act as the best form of self-help, causing us to ask questions of ourselves, forcing us to look at what we believe in, what scares us, what fill us up."

Yes.

No comments: