Thursday, March 24, 2005

Firefox update (1.01 to 1.02) and ...

I received a message last night about a critical update for Firefox being ready to download (had 1.01; new one is 1.02), so I clicked on the arrow at the top, and it downloaded and started to install...

Because of all the problems last time, I stopped the installation, but wasn't quick enough because I couldn't open Firefox 1.01 after that (getting an error message about a previous installation unfinished). I had wanted to check out the Firefox forums before I did anything- having learned my lesson last time. (I did do that eventually, but had to use IE).

At any rate, coping the profile folder to make sure it didn't get lost, then uninstalling the 1.01 version to be absolutely safe, then installing the new version -worked fine.

Some folks were able to "update" this time by installing the new version over the old.. some folks weren't.. some folks like me didn't want to experiment.

edited for Firefox: Several other things were necessary to do a clean install- like tracking down the registry entries and things that wind up in other places with XP. A simple "uninstall" won't do the trick but it isn't that difficult to find and take care of the rest. I didn't delete my profile from the other mozilla products on this machine, so it is possible that my install wasn't as "clean" as it needed to be. If anyone has any problems go to the Firefox support forums and read the help in the sticky's. Since this was first posted, I have had a few odd glitches with heavy use.

~~
On another note, my integrated calendar, tasks, reminders, appointments, contacts, journal, email program which is ever so useful and mostly logical to me with all my numerous personal tweaks and rules -but a Microsoft program, you know the one- crashed and wouldn't seem to recover yesterday. I couldn't open it even in safe mode. I had to find new programs to replace the others and I was able to import some of the data without opening the program. I don't actually like having to open several programs to do what the other one did. ... sigh.. am working on learning a new way to do things though, and YES, what a dummy I am for not backing up every single piece of the old data. I know better...



~~~~~~~~

added 05/05/05: If you are looking for more current information on Firefox, you will find a summary and link of every post I have made to date about the various versions of Firefox, any installation problems and my solutions; and within some of those posts are links to specific Firefox support forum threads. Firefox post list

No comments: